Mike Hartner is a father, son, author, patriot, geek (ret), and husband. His love of all things genealogical led him to writing, and writing has now led him to fiction and a large epic saga. He lives in Vancouver, BC with his wife and son. His latest book is the historical romance, I, Walter. Visit his website at www.accidentalauthor.ca.
Ten Things About I, Walter You May Not Know
10. I, Walter was written and edited over a period of ten months.
9. Gerald was the hardest character to write, since I’ve never encountered his kind in real life. I know he exists, but I’ve never encountered him.
8. A lot of the good humor in I, Walter is aimed at the cook.
7. My favorite line was Walter’s comment about Cookie the boat’s chef: “… we ate a meal of “surprise stew,” which was called that for two reasons. The first was because the meat was unidentifiable the way Cookie prepared it; the second because it was a genuine surprise that anyone would call a dish this watered down “stew.”
6. I, Walter is the first in a series of books that will eventually bring the reader to present day.
5. Bart’s full name is Bartholomew Stuart. He is a paternal cousin to James Stuart – James VII of Scotland, James I of England.
6. One of the most surprising moments to me, was Carlos’ reaction to Melanie.
5. The landlord scene was originally written with a female landlord.
4. The original form called for a ‘sight’ of his mother’s spirit in the Indian Ocean, heralding her death, as well as his survival.
3. Walter has more like for his father than I did writing his story.
2. The Salted Dog was definitely an interesting place, and some of the other patrons were willing to share their stories with me as well.
1. The Drenched Seaman was actually a play on the British weather patterns.
This is the life story of Walter Crofter, an English commoner who ran from home at the age of 11. After two years living on the street, he ended up on a Merchant Mariners boat in the service of the Crown.
On his first voyage, he rescued a girl from pirates. A very important girl, who stole his heart before she was returned to her home.
This is the story of his life. What adventures he had at sea; what took him off the waters, and what happened to him as he lived his life and stayed true to his character.
Purchase your copy at AMAZON.